About the article
Logs have been an integrated part of every application today. Almost every server or application is monitored and analysed using logs. With the increase in number of third party frameworks and development of complex applications, the logs have gotten complex too. Analysis of logs have been a difficult with large amount of requests being handled by the server continuously. This article discusses 10 top-notch tools that make Log Management easier.
Splunk is the most utilised platform for Log management. It comes in several variants like Splunk Enterprise, Cloud and Light version. Splunk automates the process of analysing logs and provides useful insights in the form of sorted information. Splunk utilises the power of Machine learning and gradually starts understanding your logs better. Splunk provides a platform to develop a customised solution to manage your logs. Once configured, Splunk provides an real time insight into your logs and also notifies you for any warnings or errors that are being recognised.
- Pre-designed reporting framework with customisable reports
- Easily configurable chart builder to provides an overview of errors and warnings
- Available as a SaaS
- Can monitor anywhere between a single server to an entire cluster
- Provides real-time data analytics without the need to log into server machine
Stackify – Retrace
Retrace by Stackify is one more log management solution that provides something on top of just managing logs. Retrace helps you establish a complete sanity check system that will provide you a better visibility into the code quality and over all application failures. Retrace can be programmed to monitor the deployments in multiple environments and do the necessary performance testing, bug testing as well as managing centralised logging.
- Provides application & server metrics for faster analysis
- Does the code profiling for your application to improve code quality
- Provides comprehensive application monitoring
Fluentd is an open source log management platform that allows you to create a single log management layer for multiple applications and environments. Fluentd supports logging from multiple sources like the Apache NGINX server, mobile or web app logs, sensors logging as well as system logs.
It easily integrates with different databases as well using easily available plugins. A repository of over 5000+ plugins make fluentd the most flexible log management platform. These plugins help you decouple the data layer from backend systems to develop a unified layer.
- Handles multiple application platforms on a single layer
- Provides a unified analysis combining the data from all the layers
- Integrates easily with data analytics tools
- Open source platform
Xpolog is a self-learning log management tool that allows you to easily get insight on the application and server health within few minutes. It is an easy to deploy solution that can connect with almost every server environment. Xpolog utilises machine learning to understand your logs automatically and provides you an interface to easily configure analytics criteria. Xpolog presents the logs to you in a well organized manner using its analytics backend.
- Easily deploy apps on any desired server without worrying about log management
- Facilitates Semantic analysis from any provided data source
- Supports anomaly detection and automated insight report generator as well
- Comes with an exhaustive dashboard to make your analysis task easier
- Provides application profiling data to allow performance improvement
Elastic Stack is an open source logging platform that is able to connect to every application and server you need to connect. It manages the logs from dockers, databases, applications, servers as well as systems themselves. Elastic Stack analyses these logs and renders them in a graphical manner for the user to analyse and understand. Elastic stack is powered by an excellent frontend log analytics framework Kabana. Additionally, it is absolutely scalable and scales as automatically as the logs keep increasing. This scalability gives it an edge in the logging management domain.
- Automatically scales up as needed
- Provides custom designed and organised graphical analysis of data
- Open source tool
- Excellent community support for implementation
Papertrail is a log aggregator unlike the other log management softwares. Papertrail makes log management easy with its log filtering capabilities. It allows you to fetch the logs date and time wise as well as find specific chunks of data from the logs. It indexes the logs from multiple sources and makes it easier for the user to search through the logs in no time.
- Aggregates logs and organises them unlike other tools
- Allows to search through the available logs
- Quick response time
- Automated alerts to keep you notified of errors
Logz.io is an excellent cloud based platform that can be used to managed logs from multiple sources. Logz.io is fully scalable making it an effective tool for the ones who prefer dynamic costs. Logz.io leverages an open source log management API and exposes it as an enterprise solution over the cloud. This makes it easier and faster for the organisations to manage logs with very little overhead of configuration.
- Automatically analyses and finds the unnecessary logs
- Helps in reducing the log volume gradually
- Utilises open source API making it cheaper
- Provides live data streaming using Kibana API to display graphical outputs
- Leverages AI and Logstash platform supported by Elastic search
Graylog is an open-source log management tool that supports an in-depth analysis of logs and provides a great insight of the statistics obtained from logs. The tool provides an easily scalable model to use it more efficiently. Additionally if offers free analysis for upto 5GB per day which is sufficient for almost every small business. Thus, it grows as you grow. The paid versions are smartly priced to allow you to pay as you use.
- Exceptional analytics output
- Graphical log analysis
- Provides REST APIs to analyse the logs from a different UI
- Provides local storage as well in the paid version
This is a log management solution that is quite different from the others that we discussed. Logpacker comes in two variants. A cloud based deployment as well as a standalone application. The suprising factor in Logpacker is that it is able to automatically find and fetch logs from the configured servers. Thus, it has quite simple setup process.
- Simpler to setup and get started
- Provides auto-generated dashboards unlike the others
- It flaunts to provides data aggregation outputs in split seconds
- Provides upto 10GB free usage per day
- Supports health checks as well as backups too
- Supports mobile as well as desktop applications & systems
Among the top 10 tools, Loggly is the one that provides an end-to-end big-data analytics based log management solution. Loggly supports almost every existing technology and database to aggregate and process logs.It has been created with the focus on Devops and development engineers. Considering that, Loggly provides an excellent UI to developed custom dashboard easily.
- Create unlimited custom dashboards
- LDAP based access role management
- Provides REST APIs to develop an end to end solution
- Provides Lite version for free
When it comes to large enterprise scale applications, logging becomes an extremely important aspect for managing the application better. In such a scenario, logs play a major role in the debugging and auditing purpose. There are numerous other log management tools and cloud based softwares available in the market. These are some of the best softwares according to me. As already discussed, every tool has its own benefits. The choice of the tool depends mainly on the budget, necessity and features.