Nowadays, Test Automation is considered the most efficient way to enhance coverage, performance, and effectiveness of any software application. It is transforming the way the engineers perform testing.
Test automation cannot be achieved without useful tools. They make up the base for developing automated tests and modularizing the test processes. Test automation tools are crucial in the entire DevOps chain implementation. The current test automation tools offer advanced capabilities for test optimization, intelligent test generation, execution, and reporting. It will be beneficial to understand which tools are best poised to take the support of these trends.
In this article, we talk about such highly useful tools and help choose the best possible automation testing tool out of an inclusive list. But before we dive in, let’s walk through the brief on automation testing and types of Automation testing that take part in the entire development process.
Introduction to test automation
The process of Test Automation means running intuitive programs that automatically carry out the execution of test cases and deliver the test results without any human effort. It is one step ahead of the manual testing. It saves time up to a great extent and leaves very little scope or no errors in testing. Once done, automated tests can be run any number of times to test the same application, minimizing redundant manual work.
Automated testing is basically used in software undertakings, where you have to test the same part of software repeatedly until it meets expectations. Automated tools can test much faster and in areas beyond human ability, that too in much less time. Summing up all these make them an invaluable tool for any serious developer.
Types of Automation Testing
There are primarily three types of automation testing mentioned as under:
Automated Unit Test: These are designed to test the software logic code. It performs a search for script errors, bugs, and other issues with the written code.
Automated Web Service and API Test: These tests allow the software to interact with other software applications in order to undertake the functionality, compliance, and security tests.
Automated GUI Test: These tests monitor how the software performs on the user end, focuses on its looks and feels.
Protractor plays a crucial role in the Testing of AngularJS, Angular 2+ and ReactJS frontend applications and works as a Solution integrator combining technologies like Selenium, Jasmine, Web driver, etc. It is employed not only to test AngularJS application but also for writing automated regression tests for standard Web Applications too.
Some of the notable features of Protractor are mentioned as below:
- It is created on the top of Selenium and WebdriverJS server.
- It has introduced new simple syntax to write tests and allows running tests targeting remote addresses.
- It can take benefit of Selenium grid to run multiple browsers at once and provides the benefit of auto-synchronization.
- It can use Jasmine or Mocha to write test suites.
- It works well in test-driven development (TDD) and has excellent testing speed.
- It contains automatic waits which means we do not need to add waits and sleeps to our test explicitly.
While most frontend test frameworks focus on conducting unit tests for frontend web applications, it focuses on testing the actual functionality of an application.
The Postman is an automation tool designed for API testing. The users can install the tool as a browser extension or a desktop application on Mac, Linux, or Windows. It is popular not only for API test automation but also for developers who use the tool to develop and test APIs.
Some of the useful features of Postman are mentioned as below:
- It offers a comprehensive API testing tool that makes it easy to set up automated tests.
- It also helps you to be more efficient while working with APIs.
- It is used to automate many types of tests, including unit tests, functional tests, integration tests, end-to-end tests, regression tests, mock tests, etc.
- It enables software applications to interact with each other via API calls.
- It is used to perform load testing at the scheduled time and record the status as well.
In fact, it is a development environment to develop and test APIs with the friendly and easy-to-use user interface. Using Postman, requests and respondents can be packaged and shared with team members. It comes with a comprehensive feature set for designing, debugging, testing, documenting, and publishing APIs. It supports both exploratory and automated testing.
Some of the interesting features of Mocha are given as:
- It offers async test timeout support.
- To operate Selenium, you do not require server initializing.
- It provides hooks before, after, before each, after each which is very useful to clean environment.
- With Mocha, you can use any assertion library you want.
- It features the functionality of testing both synchronous and asynchronous code with a similar and straightforward interface.
- To run Mocha, one can work with the command line(CLI) or run programmatically.
- It has different interfaces that allow the developer to choose the most flexible one.
- The chain-capable BDD styles present an expressive language & readable style, while the TDD assert style adds more of a classical feel.
- You can employ plugins to extend Chai’s assertions to new contexts such as vendor integration and object construction.
Supported Programming Languages: NodeJS
By using Chai with Mocha, the user can get the results in the needed format. The combination of Chai Mocha framework is frequently used for unit testing by developers to perform tests and report results.
Selenium is a powerful testing framework to perform web application testing across various browsers and platforms like Mac, Linux, and Windows. It helps the testers to write tests in various programming languages like PHP, Java, Python, C#, Groovy, Ruby, and Perl. It provides record and playback features to write tests without learning Selenium Integrated Development Environment.
Some of the essential features of Selenium are given as under:
- To operate Selenium, you do not require server initializing.
- It supports both iPhone and Android testing.
- It is effortless for a WebDriver to build a keyword-driven framework.
- It uses the native automation technique and is high-performing.
- It supports parallel test execution that reduces the time taken in executing parallel tests.
- It requires lesser resources when compared to other tools.
Additionally, Selenium supports some of the well-known browser vendors who make sure they have Selenium as a native part of their browser. It is undoubtedly the base for most of the other software testing tools in general.
Appium is a free, open-source, and cross-platform mobile UI automation framework. It offers you to write UI tests for your Android and iOS mobile apps. It also allows you to create test scripts using the Selenium JSON writer you know from web automation assurance. Appium has become an industry standard for mobile testing, as Selenium WebDriver is the standard for browser-based automation.
Some of the top-notch features of Appium are listed as below:
- It aims to automate mobile app from any language or any test framework, with completed access to back-end APIs.
- It is an open-source tool used for User Interface as well as functional testing of iOS and Android mobile applications.
- It allows native, hybrid and web application testing and backing automation test on physical gadgets as well as on emulator or simulator both.
- It grants cross-platform application testing, i.e. the same API works for both iOS and Android platform test script.
- It is designed and specialized for mobile and only mobile.
- It integrates with continuous integration servers to ensure better outcomes.
- It supports Safari on iOS and Chrome or the built-in ‘Browser’ on Android.
The benefit of using Appium is that it automates any mobile app from any language and any test framework. The testing of native apps don’t require SDK or recompiling of the app. It drives Android, iOS, and Windows apps using the WebDriver protocol.
By now, you might have understood the fact that you need a test automation in some or the other way. Thus, discuss with your team and decision influencers about introducing test automation tools for your current & upcoming application projects. Study and consider every tool we mentioned here to kick-start your faster project deliveries with the highest quality maintained. Do share any other point in case we might have missed here, as that will help us and many more as well