Nowadays, Continuous integration (CI) tools work as the engine to drive the SaaS software development process across all the industry verticals. CI tools are essential to streamline the development process and contribute real-time insights into the entire software delivery. Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) play an essential role in delivering stable software to a test environment so developers can determine whether the software product is ready for the launch.
To accelerate the delivery process and assure product quality, Enterprises are making progress towards DevOps methodologies and Agile culture. An automated and continuous delivery cycle is the backbone of fast and reliable product releases. A high-performing Continuous delivery tool initiates code building, runs automated tests, and deploys it to the desired environment. The automated pipelines provide standardised development approach, remove manual errors, and enable fast product iterations. An effective CI/CD strategy can automate the process of deployment in production environments so customers can receive updates faster
All of these benefits direct you to employ proper continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) tools. With the countless CI/CD tools available in the market, this post compiles the top 5 of the most widely used as well as a cross-section for different development needs.
Jenkins is the oldest in the industry and leads the market share as an open-source automation server in a continuous integration and delivery process. It is basically a self-contained Java-based program available with the packages for macOS, Windows, and other OS. Jenkins supports development, deployment, and automating tests for software development projects with the power of hundreds of plugins.
Jenkins is best suited if you can appoint a dedicated person or team to manage and maintain it. Moreover, you require an economical solution of an on-premise server to ensure complete control over your CI/CD environment.
- It can easily upgrade to various operating systems with a user-friendly interface.
- It has active community support and contributes plugin resources.
- It manages distributed builds in the form of master-slave architecture.
- It schedules based on expressions and ensures Windows command execution in pre-build steps.
- The application code is hosted in-house while using Jenkins.
- It offers an easy configuration of the production environment as it comes as a WAR file, and all you need is to drop into your JEE container.
AWS Code Pipeline is one of the most popular cloud based Continuous integration and continuous deployment pipeline. With AWS Code pipeline, you get a flexible way of organising your integration, testing and delivery cycle. AWS Code pipeline is flexible in its setup and can have as many stages as needed. It runs a list of commands in a docker environment. We can install supporting modules, plugins and run tests right from this container.
The primary features of AWS Code Pipeline include:
- Pay as you use pricing
- Flexible compute of upto 7GB
- Supports customised docker containers
- Suitable for any programming language
- Integrates with Code Deploy, Github and BitBucket repositories
GitLab is a suite of tools to manage every aspect of the software development lifecycle. It is a web application with an API that allows you to host several GitLab runners on servers and allocate labels for each of them. It gives you an array of build servers where builds can be allotted to any server as needed. It facilitates massive scaling opportunities, competing for a tool like Jenkins.
Gitlab works best for you when you do not need to hassle installing and configuring a completely new tool. With Gitlab, you need not use plugins but an integrated Docker registry. The application code is hosted in Gitlab and it is recommended for those who want to outsource the DevOps lifecycle. It is accessible as an open-source Community Edition and a commercial Enterprise Edition. It’s available as both a hosted service and as an on-premise installation.
- You can create and manage codes and project data from a single distributed version control system through branching tools.
- It works as a source of scalability for collaborating on projects and code.
- It contributes a fully embrace CI to the delivery team and automate the builds, integration, and verification of source codes.
- It offers container scanning, static application security testing (SAST), dynamic application security testing (DAST), and dependency scanning to produce secure applications along with license compliance.
- It automates and shortens releases of applications or products.
CircleCI is a CI/CD tool that allows automation across the user’s pipeline, from code building, testing to deployment for rapid software development and publishing. Additionally, CircleCI hosts continuous integration under the cloud-managed option or runs behind a firewall with private infrastructure support.
You can integrate CircleCI with GitHub, Bitbucket, and GitHub Enterprise and create builds when new code lines are pushed. CircleCI can be your best choice among CI/CD tools if you need inbuilt support for parallelism and prioritize speed. It can work best while working on an operating system like Linux and macOS.
- It boasts of powerful caching capabilities and highly customizable workflows for branch-specific deployment.
- This tool is easy to configure and run unlimited builds by the feature of automated merging and custom commands for package uploading.
- It runs builds using a container or a virtual machine.
- The functions of easy debugging, automated parallelization and quick tests make it a preference.
- It facilitates personalized email and instant message notifications.
TeamCity is considered to be the most secure CI/CD tool that offers extremely stable plugins. It’s got handy integrations with xUnit and other code coverage tools. This tool is often used for applications based on Java and .NET. With TeamCity, you don’t need to appoint a dedicated person or team to manage the Continuous Integration (CI)/ Continuous Delivery (CD) tool. All you need is a working solution with hassle-free maintenance. However, better customer support is required as there are multiple projects with similar configs, each of which progresses differently.
- It ensures better code quality for any project with extensibility and customization.
- It keeps the CI server stable and healthy even when no builds are running.
- This tool configures builds in DSL and provides comprehensive VCS integration.
- If also render on-the-fly build progress reporting along with remote run and pre-tested commit.
The CI/CD tool Bamboo renders a continuous integration build server that performs automatic build, test, and launch in a single place. It works flawlessly with JIRA software and Bitbucket, and you can easily import your Jenkins configurations into the Bamboo. It supports many languages and technologies that include AWS CodeDeploy, Docker, Git, SVN, Amazon S3 buckets, and Mercurial.
By using the power of Docker, Bitbucket Pipelines provides efficient and fast builds that are rapidly growing to become a worthy successor to the Bamboo Cloud.
- It can run parallel batch tests, including real-time collaboration and integrated with HipChat.
- It triggers builds based on changes detected in the repository and push notifications from Bitbucket.
- The installation and set up in Bamboo is quite simple and user-friendly.
- The feature of Per-environment permissions of this tool allows the developer team and QA to deploy to their environments.
- It is available as hosted or on-premise versions that support built-in Git branching and workflows, which is automatically merged.
The CI/CD and DevOps trends will consistently evolve in the market space. We hope the list puts light on sufficient information for you to choose software that best relates your requirements. The above list filters the tools in the market that not only holds the essential capabilities for your projects but room for future potential. Once you pick the CI/CD tool of your choice, it will increase productivity multifold and empower your team to ship with confidence.