Summary – What does this article hold for you?
Content writing has become a full-time profession for numerous skilled writers. The importance of content is growing on a daily basis. With the advancement in the communication and growing traffic on the web, content is the most important aspect of your online communication. Everyone including Search Engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo and others understand the website, the company’s thoughts & ideas, their services and products by the content they put down on their website. Hence, it is extremely important to understand how to make an impact out of what is being put onto the website. This article is written with a dedicated purpose of guiding every writer in the industry to understand how to write a well-curated document which helps the business owners rank higher rapidly. It also helps the business owners to understand the importance of excellent content for their business site. It provides guidelines on content creation for different types of tasks like article writing, social media post creation, proposal creation, email & promotional content creation.
Basics of Search Engine Optimisation – What is SEO ?
There has been too much of a hype about Search Engine Optimisation these days. After developing the website, the second step for every business today is to optimise it for the Search Engines. Business owners often ask this question – What is SEO? What are the activities involved in it? How important is it to get my website optimised? I encounter these and numerous other similar questions regularly with my clients. Hereby, I would like to explain in brief about what SEO is exactly.
Search Engine Optimisation is a process of increasing the Web traffic quality and quantity for your business website in an organic manner. “Organic” is an important term here. It basically means to drive the traffic naturally by getting your website to the first page of search engines. This gives rise to one more question – How does ranking on the first page generate high traffic?
The graph below is the answer to this question. The number of people searching on the search engines are rising exponentially. The graph below shows the rise of Searches just on the Google Search engine over the years. As visible, the traffic, searching for services and products as per their needs, has grown continuously. Ideally, the user is likely to click websites on the first page and obtain the required information. This reduces the chances of the user going to next page to checkout more such links. Thus, being on the first page automatically gets you the lead necessary for increasing your web traffic.
Website Content – Do’s & Don’t
By now, we understand that website content is responsible for explaining the search engines about your business. Below are some do’s and don’t for your website content.
Do’s for Website Content
- Create a list of well-researched keywords before you start with the content. An SEO expert can easily help you out with it
- Although search engines are important, user engagement is equally important when it comes to SEO. Create user understandable content
- Keep the corresponding keywords density to 2-3% for high priority keywords and 1-2% for low priority keywords
- Let the content flow smoothly. The keywords should be naturally fit into a sentence.
- Keep the minimum content length to be 300 words. The advisable length of every web page is 500-600 words
- Structure it in the form of headings and subheadings
- Use h1 and h2 tags to describe the major purpose of the corresponding webpage
- Use images where possible
- Keep paragraphs short. Ideally let the paragraphs be around 100-150 words
- Include as many external links to relevant popular webpages. This tells the bots to consider the website to be similar to other links
- Use a range of vocabulary to portray yourself well
Don’ts for Website Content
- Do not increase the keyword density. It might lead to being treated as a spam content
- The external links within the page should not belong to a lower reputation website as it might generate negative report for your site too
- Do not break the coherence while moving through the paragraphs
- Do not leave grammatical errors when creating English content
- Do not add too large (>200KB) images as they might lead to an increased loading time
Blog Content – Do’s and Dont’s
Blog content is added to your website with 2 major goals:
- Attract the readers interested in learning about the relevant concepts, products or innovations
- Help the search engines to understand your business goal better
The wordings in the blog articles define what your website is trying to do or trying to provide. It helps the search engine automatically learn about your website by joining the words and checking its frequency. In order to achieve the above goals, there are several important things that you need to take care.
Do’s for Blog Content
- Use the keywords with a normal density of 2-3% – This means that the keywords that your article is talking about needs to be used moderately to make the content appealing yet understandable for the search engines.
- Structure your article using various headings in order like this very article.
- Ensure that the targeted keyword exists in the first paragraph of the article at least once if possible
- Keep the article of at least 500 words in length. This helps in increasing the readers’ time spent on your website and helps the search engines grab meaningful information out of it
- Ensure that all the necessary meta-tags are maintained with sufficient information.
- Caption the images in the articles as long as possible
- Add maximum internal links relevant to the content that you are authoring
- Avoid grammatical errors and proof read the content to avoid any misguiding requests
Don’ts for Blog Content
- Do not stuff the keywords too much
- Do not bind the keywords to external links with higher ranks
- Don’t use too large images. It impacts your SEO negatively
- Do not write anything diverting from your business goal
Social & Advertisement Content – Do’s and Don’ts
Social networks are a major source of leads for every website today. Advertisements with the power of artificial intelligence are excellently targeted to fetch you excellent leads for your business. However, with numerous business competitors and limited words for your advertisement, even this content writing has turned into a skill. Below are few points you need to take care of while putting your content on the advertisements or social media sites.
Do’s for Social Media & Advertisement Content
- Express your article excerpt skill-fully
- Put down the targeted keywords into the advertisement – For instance, a medical equipment trader must include keywords like Medical, health, surgical, instruments and others
- Use a poster to display your product logos or items or services
- Do not use too much text in the poster
- Use the correct hashtags after a thorough research
- End the posts at a curious note to excite the reader to checkout your website or product
- For social networks like facebook, choose the right buttons for allowing the reader to interact with you.
Don’t for Social Media & Advertisement Content
- Do not add too much information in advertisement or social media posts
- Do not use put any posts on social media without hashtags – They do not perform at their best
- Do not use abbreviations in the advertisement and social media posts
Additional tips for content
In addition to taking care of the above tips, there are numerous other parameters that need to be taken care of. For a business, it is important to continuously broadcast their progress and share knowledge with the potential clients. The content being updated on the website is continuously monitored by the search engine bots. These bots keep updating your business goal, motives and niche. Based on these details, they decide when to show your website in the search results. This section further discusses some additional factors that need to be understood for managing the content well.
The ideal frequency for updating content on your website and social media is usually 3-4 posts a month in the long-run. However, initially it requires a great deal of effort in order to get to the top of the ranking in the search engines. Hence, the advised frequency of articles is 2-3 articles a week initially for a business site. These articles need to be elaborate (upto 1500 words) as long as possible.
News & Updates Content
It is always great to present the readers with the latest information from the industry. For instance, a hospital website showing the information of robotic surgeries and facilities will attract more readers and patients too. Similarly in the manufacturing sector, information on reducing the cost of production using data analytics might attract more high profile clients to purchase your advanced machineries. These news and updates from the industry keep your site updated as well as provide the reader some useful insight about the work you do.
To summarise it all, it is extremely important to have constantly updated content on your website to keep inviting numerous readers and visitors on a regular basis. For an online business, good content is what drives sales. Having an excellent content is the symbol of your dedication to serve the clients with the best in the industry. With quality content and well-targeted posts, the sales volume could spike up to a great extent. To conclude, always remember that “Content is a one-time investment which could make or break an online business, Invest carefully.”
To avail the best content creation services, just post the inquiry. After all, a Web Developer + Content Writer is the perfect combination to get you the most optimised content delivery for your business needs.